Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What did Jesus Hear?



Before typing I looked on Google Images for a picture of Jesus that includes his ears.  I tried a couple of different things - hoping for something funny more than a good picture of Jesus' ears...  I found nothing, if you find something interesting, please let me know!

This past Sunday Zack preached on what Jesus heard.  3 times he mentioned that it is not sin to hear a cuss word. While I am listening to this series I am enjoying it tremendously, but when I get home I find myself confronted with the ways I have always done things, with the ways I have always thought - and I am troubled.  Apparently, my limits are not sin either - they are human - and yet, I don't want limits, I want to be really productive: as a man, as a father, as an intern at the church, etc.  Maybe it isn't sin to hear cussing, but I grew up thinking that it was.  Maybe my limits are not sin (in fact, it seems pretty clear they are not), but when I am with my family I think it is often my job to meet all of their needs.

Over and over in the "Sermon on the Mount" Jesus said, "You have heard it said... but I say to you...".  You think this way, but I am telling you it is about the heart.  You know these laws, and you're trying to keep them, but the character within is more important.  You think that if you manage your behavior, God will be pleased with you and I am here to free you from such loneliness and hollow religion.  I have to be honest - I cannot picture Jesus' ears.  Can you?  I am much more used to the Jesus who gets me to Heaven than I am the one who hears me.  I really can't picture Jesus hear someone cuss and be unbothered.  That is ridiculous and hollow and silly...  Our theology states that Jesus is fully God and fully man, but I'm not sure I know Him as fully man.  Something in me wants to believe no one would actually cuss around Jesus.  That is ridiculous and hollow and...  you get the idea, you remember the kind of people Jesus hung out with.  Why can't I picture him hearing cussing?  Why do I think it is bad when I hear it?  Why do I have trouble with my limits in general?  What do you think?

-Matt Blazer

No comments:

Post a Comment