Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Drinking Christianly and Exclusivity




So, if you have been to Riverside (or been around for the 7.4 years of its existence) you are probably not surprised that our blog is not a well-oiled machine.  If it was, you might wonder if someone not-from-Riverside was running it!  And, show me some blogs that ARE run like well-oiled machines and we should at least give them a different title!  That is way too many exclamation points...

So, in lieu of the Monday (its not Monday) blog, I would like to open the floor to some questions.

A few weeks ago Zack brought up the question, "What does it mean to drink Christian-ly?"  While I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to give my thoughts, I would actually rather hear your thoughts.

If that one isn't interesting, or if you would simply rather skip it, how about Ryan's Sermon from this past Sunday (did you know that all of our recent sermons are available on our website?  www.riversidestl.org    The sound is really amazing too)?  He brought up some of the implicit and explicit claims of Jesus in his Sermon on "I am the light of the world".  The gist of a few of them, "Jesus claims exclusivity...  which is pretty not-socially-cool to do.  But, is it, in fact, more exclusive to claim that nothing is exclusive than that Jesus (or Buddha for that matter) is exclusively the 'way-to-Heaven'?  To be true to the way Ryan brought it up, do you worry when you hear this that the Church (capital "C") is trying to get you into it's system/clutches?  

And, if you need a third option: what would you like to see more of on the Riverside Blog (or less of)?

2 comments:

  1. Good timing on the drinking question for me...

    I am not sure if I drank Christian-ly this past Friday night. I typically drink Christian-ly...so i think. It seems to me that drinking non-Christianly has to do with abuse (to me this could be overdrinking or not rightly savoring a drink as is typically neglected during drinking games) and so i have not abused alcohol in quite some time. But I came close Friday night.

    It was after a funeral that I officiated. Yes, I said it...officiated. I was with my brothers whom I have not been together with at the same time in quite some time. Also, I was with my wife...no kids...out of town...completely sober driver.

    The man's funeral was a true celebration of an Ecclesiastes 3 life well lived and also a strong sense of brokenness that brought him face to face with his Savior. I gave the gospel...people were broken by it and transformed by the Spirit I am certain. My best sermon ever actually.

    The man also happened to be my brother's father in law with whom he was VERY close. The man loved to celebrate. Jesus loved to celebrate. And so we celebrated. One too many whiskeys for the first time in MANY years??? Perhaps. An amazing evening of celebration of grace with my brothers and my wife? Absolutely. Did i get up with my older brother and sing CopperHead Road by Steve Earle at Karaoke? You know it. I am simply justifying my sin? Maybe. Was I vomiting with an enormous headache the next day? No. If so, would I have stepped over some drinking Christian-ly line? Probably. Did my drinking (slight drunkenness) lead to a host of other debauchery as Paul says? Not this time i don't think probably because my completely sober wife was with me on this very special occasion.

    What do you guys make of all this.

    Oh, yeah...i did not hear Zack's question or his responses, so I might be that guy in the sermon that everyone laughs at.

    Peace,
    Nathan C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like, in my completely untrained opinion, it’s less about the rules and more about our hearts. I always think of Ephesians 5: 8&15 (but the whole thing is good, so read it all).
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light…Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise

    If I just worry about following the “rules” when it comes to doing something Christianly, then it’s pretty easy, for me. But, if I really think about the Bible and my heart, there’s a lot more room for my sin and more need for accountability. For me, I can rarely have a few drinks, sometimes one, sometimes none. If I look at when I really want them, and why, and what is wise for me and my heart and those people who are around me, then the standard is more flexible and more stringent. At times, I want to relax or be funnier or put my brain on pause, instead of dealing with my worry and why I worry or being vulnerable and honest and real and present with other people. And, there are times when I am alone and have the option of wrestling with God or having a drink, and the rules tell me that I can and it’s fine, but scripture tells me that I must live as wise and not as unwise.

    One of my best friends can drink a lot more than me, because she doesn’t struggle with darkness the same way that I do, and what is wise for her is different than what is wise for me. Another friend can’t drink at all, because wisdom tells him to flee from that temptation. All of that has little to do with drunkenness, and has everything to do with our spirit and our heart.

    The Christian tendency, it seems, is to go one way or the other- complete prohibition, or an attitude of entitlement. The first one seem to be the most familiar, but the second one, which disallows boundaries and accountability on the basis of freedom in Christ, is equally dangerous and less socially acceptable to confront. In the end, though, no matter what your peers or system tell you (that any drinking is unacceptable, or to have one more drink than is comfortable for your conscience), Jesus and the Bible don’t give us the option of simply following a rule. They require much, much more of us and provide much greater relief and room for protecting ourselves and others from our brokenness.

    -a

    ReplyDelete