Monday, July 27, 2009

Music Monday is back: Pop Poetry, v2


You Found Me

I found God
On the corner of First and Amistad
Where the west
Was all but won
All alone
Smoking his last cigarette
I said, "Where you been?"
He said, "Ask anything".

Where were you
When everything was falling apart?
All my days
Were spent by the telephone
It never rang
And all I needed was a call
It never came
To the corner of First and Amistad

Lost and insecure
You found me, you found me
Lyin' on the floor
Surrounded, surrounded
Why'd you have to wait?
Where were you? Where were you?
Just a little late
You found me, you found me

In the end
Everyone ends up alone
Losing her
The only one who's ever known
Who I am
Who I'm not, who I wanna be
No way to know
How long she will be next to me

Early morning
The city breaks
I've been callin'
For years and years and years and years
And you never left me no messages
Ya never send me no letters
You got some kinda nerve
Taking all my world

This song by The Fray grabbed me the first time that I heard it. I've always liked The Fray, but it was the lyrics that really got my attention. While listening I thought to myself, "Is he talking about God? He is, and he's mad. Oh, he's kind of letting God have it. Is that okay?"

Is it okay to give God a piece of my mind; to let him know when I feel like he's totally let me down and just left me? Do I have the right to ask God why? I felt a little uncomfortable listening to the lyrics. I think it was hitting too close to home. When I started to think about it I realized that this man, Isaac Slade, is certainly not the first to shake his fist at God and ask why. Here are some examples:

King David, called by God, "A man after my own heart," Acts 22:13
Why, O LORD, do you stand far away?
Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? - Psalm 10:1

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
and by night, but I find no rest. - Psalm 22:1,2

Job, called by God, "a blameless and upright man," Job 2
How long will you not look away from me,
nor leave me alone till I swallow my spit?
If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of mankind?
Why have you made me your mark?
Why have I become a burden to you? - Job 7:19,20
Jeremiah, a prophet of God
Why have you struck us down so that there is no healing for us? We looked for peace, but no good came;
for a time of healing, but behold, terror. - Jeremiah 14:19

These examples merely scratch the surface of people in the Bible who question the Lord.
When I think about it, Isaac Slade might be more free in his relationship to God than I am. Hmmmm...
Not really a comforting thought

1 comment:

  1. awesome thoughts, natalie. i appreciate that God is approachable with my doubt & anger & frustration. and He doesn't change just because i'm lonely or disappointed... and He listens. thank you for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete