Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bad Habits and Busyness


Yesterday my best friend called at 10:15 AM to tell me he was unexpectedly coming into town. I was in a meeting and told him I would call him back in 2 minutes. Needless to say I was excited to re-arrange my day so we could hang out. Today I got a call from a friend at about 4:00 PM wondering if I had hung out with Matt (my best friend). 30 hours later, and I had not yet remembered to call him back.

Eugene Peterson says that when he is busy it is for one of two reasons. 1 - He writes, "I am busy because I am vain... I am busy because I am lazy."

Vanity explained this way, "When others notice (me), they acknowledge my significance, and my vanity is fed."

Laziness explained this way, "By lazily abdicating the essential work of deciding (how it is best to spend our time)... other people do it for us... to stave off the disaster of disappointing someone."

Peterson is talking about pastors. But I think it applies to you. I miss my friend; he is recently married and I do now know his wife as well as I wish I did (she was here also). We did not get to have lunch/dinner/cigar/coffee/hugs/conversation because I struggle with vanity and laziness.

Thoughts???

Discuss...

-Matt Blazer

No comments:

Post a Comment