Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Biblical Waltz



This coming Sunday we are beginning a four-part series on grace.

I threw this link up for 3 reasons - 1. It is funny. 2. The 10 Commandments are a great example of the Biblical Waltz 3. This video is a great example of why and how we miss the actual steps.

Exodus is a fantastic picture of the way God works: He graciously saves (Exodus 1-18), he reminds of the saving and asks for participation/reception of Him as the savior (Exodus 19), then he describes what that participation will look like (Exodus 20). God says (in this video), "I am the LORD, commanding you to obey my law..."

Its funny right?

But, it isn't what happened.

While Mel Brooks' rendition is certainly worthy of oscar consideration, the story doesn't represent the real story!

The 10 Commandments are a rule I have to follow so God will love me, they make me happy because now I know what to do. The 10 Commandments are annoying, because rules are annoying; I am fine in Christ, I'm going to Heaven, you're a legalist if you try and impose these 'rules on me'.

There is a third way... I hope to see you Sunday. Incidentally, God didn't call them rules.

-Matt Blazer

1 comment:

  1. any church that can put a mel brooks clip on their blog posting is alright with me..

    ReplyDelete