Wednesday, April 29, 2009

An Inconvenient Love (Mentoring)

I was at the mac store yesterday after senior high guys bible study and I asked one of the tech guys if I could somehow sync my blackberry with the iCal (calendar program) on the macbook. I already knew the answer to that question because Blazer told me the answer hours earlier but I was looking for some loophole to make like easier and more convenient. If I had a calendar that synced to my phone, then all I would need to do is update appointments on my laptop and within seconds, my phone would be in step with the rest of my life. Some of you may be thinking “You’re the youth guy....what do you actually do throughout the week?” That question is tough for me to be honest with you - because I love the children and youth of our church.

So, at the Apple Store I realized I was trying to make my life easier. I can make my life easier at almost any time. But, that doesn’t mean that the choices I/we make are the most beneficial for ourselves and those we love, but we can do it. And I don't know about you, but I often feel over-committed. So what? When do followers of Jesus get to the point in their lives when true love for others (according to Jesus, the second greatest command) is dependent upon convenience? When does it become clearer, easier?

This can include anything from loving families, neighbors, enemies and even loving those in our church by serving in certain ministries that bless them. I know I easily fall into the trap of loving out of convenience rather than loving because of Jesus and so I’ve started to ask myself the question, “Really?”

* Do I really not have the time to meet up with someone who’s hurting because I need to spend time with my family? Or is it because I had a long day and just want to watch tv?
* Do I really need to back out of some specific church ministry? Am I that busy, or is it easier to quit the church thing than to even think about how I got here in the first place?
* Do I really not want to talk to my neighbors because I’m too busy, or because it takes more effort than I wish to use up?

There are more “really” questions. I assume you struggle with them also. We try to say we love because He first loved us, but when push comes to shove - what’s the excuse in your back pocket? Mine is busyness and fatigue. Really? The only motivation we need and should be satisfied with in terms of why we do anything is because of Christ. He’s more than enough for me to love others when it’s inconvenient. I pray that I will really believe this. I pray that you will really believe this.

-Simon

3 comments:

  1. Simon - those last two paragraphs are incredibly convicting. Thank you for being so honest and challenging our hearts. It's easy to categorize "loving people" as just something else to cross off on our to-do lists. So your reminder that we do it because of Christ's perfect love is so much more compelling than any of my excuses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty lazy about most things that don't revolve around me & mine, and then i'm so worried about saying or doing the wrong thing that i don't reach out (when i'm not being lazy). thanks for putting this out there... He should be more than enough for me to get off my rear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Simon. It's so easy to do "quota" Christianity - "I've done my quota of helping others this week, so I'm off the hook." I fall into that lie so quickly.

    ReplyDelete