Monday, December 14, 2009

A Decade of music - Retrospective

As this is kind of, but not technically, the end of the decade I find myself confronted with all kinds of lists. There is no such thing as a perfect list, they are all terribly subjective, and I try to avoid strong opinions of subjective material in these parts. Not today. The following list is the albums from each year of the 00’s that represents that year in music to me the most. I am not pretending to post the best album; I am focusing more on their staying power with me and their effects on me and other culture. The basic test is what is the number 1 record I think of when I think of that year. Since I know next to nothing about mainstream pop this list is almost completely devoid of it. My hope in this is to either peak your interest in something you missed last decade, or remind you of something that you will want to listen to again. Here goes nothing…

2000: Radiohead, Kid A
This is an album of desolation, mourning and, in my opinion, it expanded the boundaries of what pop music can be. This is a concept album, it isn’t for the faint of heart, it is difficult, but it is as close to perfect as recorded music can be. It is my record of the decade.
Honorable mention: Modest Mouse, The Moon and Antarctica.

2001: The Strokes, Is This It
I really wanted to dislike this album. I tried hard to but it is infectious, especially as I am farther removed from the hype. It is tight, lean, and a great pop record.
Honorable mention: Oh Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack

2002: Coldplay, A Rush of Blood to the Head
I personally consider this the last good Coldplay album. I know that will bother some of the readers so I won’t go further into that. All I need to say about this record is that it was featured prominently in my wedding. Songs like Clocks and The Scientist were instant classics. When I think of this record I think of my wife – I think sappy thoughts, Coldplay is a sappy band, 2002 was a sappy year for me.
Honorable mention: There is a lot to choose from here, in the interest of mass appeal I choose Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2003: The Shins, Chutes Too Narrow
One indie-pop gem after another. The only negative is that it lasts less that thirty minutes. This album is irresistible, the lyrics are great and the guitar lines are better.
Honorable mention: The Postal Service, Give Up

2004: The Arcade Fire, Funeral
If not for my irrational Radiohead fandom this would be my record of the decade. Alas, it must take a photo-finish second place in my book. The theme seems to begin with escapism, the desire to flee our Neighborhood in our youth and then the desire to return to it, and its security, when we reach adulthood. This album combines grief, pain, and failure with hope and love. In other words, it is a picture of the Gospel. If you haven’t listened to this yet, and you care about music, do it now.
Honorable mention: TV on the Radio, Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes

2005: Sufjan Stevens, Illinois
This album features glorious melodies and countermelodies grounded in actual locations and true stories. Stevens writes about people in incredibly insightful ways. Who else could make the mind of a serial killer seem relatable?
Honorable mention: Wolf Parade, Apologies to the Queen Mary.

2006: Band of Horses, Everything All the Time
2006 was the most difficult year for me on this list. Unless I am missing something, which is highly likely, not much came out this year that has really stuck. It could be that I started law school this year and thus hardly listened to any music. Anyway, this record is a compilation of a bunch of lonely rock songs. It is good, but forgettable – like all of 2006 for me.
Honorable mention: Phoenix, It’s Never Been Like That

2007: Feist, The Reminder
The Reminder is my daughter’s favorite album to dance to. Though it was almost ruined by Ipod commercials, 1-2-3-4 is still great. Beyond that, it is an incredibly deep album. It is a very complicated record anchored by Leslie Feist’s brilliant vocals. In stark contrast to the previous year, this was a great year for music. This one edged out the rest for me due to its family friendliness, but just barely.
Honorable mentions (multiple just for this year): The National, Boxer; Radiohead, In Rainbows; M.I.A., Kala; Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga; Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

2008: Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes
It took me a long time to get this one. It is the perfect music to make pancakes to on Saturday morning. It feels right. The harmonies are great, and the influences come from all over the place; Folk, indie rock, jam bands, the beach boys…you name it.
Honorable Mention: Frightened Rabbit, Midnight Organ Fight

2009: Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
This is one meticulous record. Grizzly Bear is a band devoted to the craft and it shows here in a huge way. It isn’t for everyone, it is labor intensive for the listener, however a little work and patience pays off. This is the number three record of the decade in my opinion. This is a must listen for anyone that takes music seriously. If you don’t, stay away.
Honorable mention: Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

I hope this list helps you find, or rediscover something. I would love to read your favorites of the decade in the comments or by e-mail.

- jason

No comments:

Post a Comment