Friday, September 11, 2009

Movie Review: District 9


Rated: R
Cast: Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope, Nathalie Boltt
Director: Neil Blomkamp

I went to see District 9 a few weeks ago by myself - which is one of my favorite pastimes. I pay attention differently. The speed of the movie - District 9 is pretty fast - is easier for me to get used to. I don't have to share food ("JOEY DOESN'T SHARE FOOD").

I was thoroughly impressed with District 9. If you don't know, it is a movie about an alien ship that comes to Earth, but not to invade or colonize. The closest approximation I have seen to it is Alien Nation. A human, who is in charge of relocating the Aliens, once the city of Johannesburg (maybe an overly obvious choice - but Blomkamp is from S. Africa) is tired of their proximity, becomes infected with an alien liquid and is forced to live in their shanties. There is more to the movie of course, but I do not want to give it away. Maybe it is about 'isms'. District 9 is certainly about people and their/our darkness. It is about the potential of one man or woman to do the right thing. And, it might be about the consequences of all of those things coming together - quickly. I will say this, instead of 'what will the aliens do to us?', District 9 is about what we might do to them. And, it is a "disturbingly plausible" movie in that regard.

The movement is fast, but you will not lose the story. The acting is superb. District 9 begins as a pseudo-documentary, and moves into full blown Sci-Fi somewhere in the middle. The ending drags a bit, but you soon understand why. And all of us who have seen will eagerly anticipate District 10.

I am trying to constantly ask the question of our blog authors, "What does it mean to be a Christian and like ____________." Miles Davis, Bon Iver, American Idol, Mad Men (My favorite)... When ought we to not like these things? How do we place our Christian posture/gestures/worldview on top of these cultural things? Okay, I did that, now what?

I loved District 9. The story is a good one. There was a lot of cussing. It is unclear if the aliens (subtitled) or the humans cuss more. But, is it bad to cuss in the face of such hate? Is it, in fact, unhealthy to cuss when one is fully disoriented. Many people die in the movie (although not nearly as many as you might have thought for an "alien movie"). But, is it bad for evil men to be killed? Or, is it destructive to see good men/creatures die and be reminded that this happens every day around our world - and probably in our backyard more than we realize or are told?

I recommend seeing District 9. If graphic violence disturbs you, then maybe not. However, it is not gratuitous violence. I recommend the conversation that belongs next to District 9 about the nature of man, the role of individuals, and the simple fact that time, fatigue, and limits can make cowards of us all.

2 comments:

  1. word. this was a great movie. from an effects standpoint, the compositing was awesome and didn't look fake like so many other movies. story, acting, direction and camerawork were superb and its probably one of the more original movies i've seen in some time. wish i was 29 (Neil B.) and making killer movies like this. can't believe it only cost 30 Million dollars to make.

    Thanks for the review. Sorry I didn't say anything about God. I just really liked this movie.

    - Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it's a great movie in so many ways.

    Johannesburg may seem a little obvious, but the propensity for all of us to practice some sort of "alien apartheid" with those around us seems too easy to overlook most of the time.

    Your evolving into an alien creature, eating a can of cat food, and your teeth start to fall out...

    I think cussing was invented for moments like these....

    ReplyDelete