Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Parenting Page: Needing Help


This morning I arrived at preschool, late as usual. As I started to pile my kids out of the car, wishing it was legal to leave children in an unattended vehicle, my mind started making the list of all the things I’d forgotten in our rush out the door.:

“I forgot that form I was supposed to fill out…Oh, and I still never brought in his change of clothes….Ahh, I never did cut Tyler’s nails…they look dirty again. The teachers are going to think I never bathe him…When was the last time I bathed him?… Will I ever be on top of things?…I just need to be more organized when I leave the house…I just need to get up earlier…I really shouldn’t have yelled at Tyler when we were leaving…Will I ever leave the house without barking in frustration at one of my children?…my teeth feel gross…I forgot to brush my teeth again…at least I showered this morning…that’s why I’m late…I really should get up earlier…I always thought I was going to be that mom that looked super cute and stylish as she dropped her children off, all in their matching outfits…Is that egg in Grayson’s hair?…”

My internal monologue was cut short as I looked to see that as I was pulling one child out of their car seat, a friend was on the other side of my van helping my other child out of his. Without having to be asked, this friend was there making it possible for me to keep moving. It seems like such a little thing, but this simple act of community made me feel incredibly cared for. I thought of it multiple times today. As much as I would love to have it all together, it is such a blessing to need help.


-Kim Janous

No comments:

Post a Comment