Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Music Monday: On the Road


My family just completed a road trip to Michigan, a seven hour drive. This road trip was unlike any I have taken before in that entirely different sounds emanated from the car’s speakers. The speakers that once loudly unfurled a wave of brain awakening rock and roll now eked out one corny children’s song after another, after another, after another. Monday, October 12, 2009. The day the music died.

It didn’t die completely though. My daughter likes Grizzly Bear, Phoenix, she likes some Radiohead, she likes Arcade Fire and Feist…she just likes Dora the Explorer more. Significantly more - much to my chagrin. Life is about compromises though, and seven hour roadtrips with two year olds even more so. Thus, I was left with a choice. I could try to block out the noise, play the sounds and thoughts I like in my head and have some peace. Or I could enter the fray, let go of my inhibitions and sing “The Wheels on the Bus” with my family while trying to do the motions without suffering a fatal automobile crash.
Yesterday I chose the latter. I don’t always. I wish I did more often.

I take a little bit of pride in considering myself a music snob, but I shouldn’t. I am simply hard to please. It isn’t just music either. My point is that there are many areas in my life that pride prevents me from fully participating with my family, with my community, with my church, and with God. I think that if you are honest with yourself you will find the same thing. It is so easy to come to the conclusion that a particular area of service in your community or church is simply not your gifting when in reality you are perfectly capable of the task at hand. It is for me at least.

The platitude says “The heart is willing but the flesh is weak.” I think that more often my flesh is willing but my heart is weak. Singing children’s songs at the top of my lungs is a small step in the right direction for me in this area. Joining an area of service with great needs at Riverside has been a big one. What is something your pride has kept you from doing in your community?

- jason

No comments:

Post a Comment