Monday, October 12, 2009

"Why did you tell all these lies?"


If you haven't seen this interview with CNN Correspondent, Anderson Cooper, please do so when you get a moment (or read here). I was baffled by this story. Essentially, it is of a man who 'whips up' a protracted story about being a veteran of the US Armed Forces. The FBI caught on to him, and has charged him with a 'Stolen Valor' charge. I found myself asking the same question Mr. Cooper does, namely, "What in the world is going on here?"

Now, to be fair, I need to say/own a few things. Though he admits that he is not a 'pathological liar,' he does admit that there is an 'undiagnosed mental illness' present. And while I don't think that I would ever be able to concoct such a story (I'm just not that creative), I do think that I am capable of something like this. This gentleman and I really aren't all that different, when it comes down to what is at my core.

Yesterday, I spoke about how all of us--whether we claim to follow Jesus or not--have anchored deep within us a "question that won't go away." I mentioned how this question centers on wondering about our dignity, worth, and value. Moreover, how can we actually know that we do. Now, I'm not talking about a self-help model (à la Stuart Smalley) that aims at making us feel better in the moment, such that we don't weep when somebody tells us they don't like our powder-blue cardigan. I'm talking about the 'deep motivation' that makes us do everything we do; I'm talking about the stuff that makes us get up in the morning. So, like the psuedo-Marine in this story, I've posed in sundry ways to get attention, feel accepted, and so on. Here's the short list: I started playing music to feel cool in High School; I wore Croakies in college precisely and only because I thought girls liked dudes that did (I know: stud-ly, right ladies?). My point is this, I watched this story and my gut reaction, surprisingly, was "Yeah, I get it. I know why he'd fabricate a tale like this."

I'll cut it short. I mentioned how Christianity answers this "question that won't go away" by saying that in Christianity we find a dignity, worth, and value that comes from no other place. C.S. Lewis calls this "fame with God." And when this "question" is answered by Him, the "old ache [within]" begins to fade. What do you make of this...?

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Bummed we missed your sermon (we were in nursery) heard it was awesome from numerous people. I plan to listen to it in between three screaming kids and their awesome school schedules which involve entering and exciting the van about every 11 minutes. As for the old ache I find myself still struggling with letting go of the old scars of my past. I think part of myself is too afraid to really let go and experience God's grace all the way? I think it's some kind of backwards ridiculous pride. I love to make things complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Croakies and Music huh?

    I appreciate your willingness to say you are not unlike this hurting dude. I not unlike him either.

    Here's to living a repentant and truth telling life...I have found that healing happens in the daylight as I believe that Grace is bigger than my sin.

    Swain

    ReplyDelete