Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dirty Little Secrets

It's been one week of summer at the janous household and I can already tell it's going to be a long one. The thing I hate the most is that I always swore I would never be a mom that dreaded summers. But, one of the things motherhood has taught me is how to eat the many words I said before I was a mom.

That is one of the reasons I love my new book: I Was A Really Good Mom Before I Had Kids. In my last post I talked about my fast from parenting how-to books which is one of the things I love about this book. Distancing itself from the how-to's, this book does a fantastic job of bringing to light what all of us struggle with as parents. The authors are two moms who became friends when their children were born and they found motherhood to be more overwhelming than they'd expected. Author Amy Nobile says, "I didn't feel I had permission to talk abotu how hard motherhood really was." This started a quest to discover if other moms were going through the same thing. This book was born out of their conversations with hundreds of women.

I found out about this book on a show Oprah did about mothers. The show was full of mothers confessing their "dirty little secrets." These secrets from moms are scattered throughout the book too. The show was hilarious and if you have five minutes, it's worth taking a look at.

The authors spoke on the show about the process of interviewing mothers and how difficult it was to get women to open up with what they really felt about motherhood. "We feel like we don't have permission to admit that it's really hard, so we're all walking around with these smiles on our faces, but really we feel alone," Amy says.

I think this statement speaks volumes to any woman, but it needs to speak especially to those of us in the church. If we are truly seeking our identity in Christ, not in who we are as mothers or how we feel about motherhood, then we should have the freedom to be honest. More than any other community, the church should feel like the place where your motherhood is not under examination, your individuality is appreciated, and you are free from fear of failure.

Do we have that type of community at Riverside? Has that been your experience? Before we start a dialogue on this I encourage you to ask yourself in what ways you've helped or hurt an atmosphere of honesty. I know I've been humbled through the years and still have some more humility to learn. God is breaking me of the need to have it together and appear "in control" of my children. I am convicted that just by living like I need to have it together in front of other moms creates an atmosphere that makes other feel like they have to as well. I commit to you, my community of moms at Riverside, to try to live more honestly in front of you and at home.

In the spirit of honesty here are just five of my "dirty little secrets";

  1. On a good week my children get two baths. Many times we are lucky to get one in a week.
  2. I didn't start brushing Tyler's teeth until he was three and even now it's sporadic at best.
  3. I've bleached my two-year old son's facial hair.
  4. I yell at my children way too much and in ways that would completely mortify me if anyone heard me.
  5. I don't like motherhood as much as I thought I would.
- Kim Janous

6 comments:

  1. i'm TOTALLY with you on the teeth brushing thing- they're going to fall out sometime soon anyway, right? : ) and i challenge any parent to honestly say they've never yelled out of frustration... thank you for being the first to admit it, kim! i'm pretty sure i could get fired for the number of times i've dragged caroline around by her arm in public! i hope lots of parents read this & feel unburdened from our perfection quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see, where to begin. Orange ice cream for breakfast. No baths now that the pools are open, I just tell the girls to get their hair wet. I could go on and on. Thanks Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, y'all, for leading with redemptive vulnerability. This is awesome, as the gospel really frees us to be honest as we look to Jesus. I appreciate the "dirty little secrets" (which are really "areas where I need grace") confessions. Why? Because I am convinced that one of the enemy's most common ploys is to convince us that we are alone. Kudos! and it's a joy to learn from you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am so glad you got me hooked on this book. I just gave it to my SIL for her birthday.

    I've done popsicles for breakfast. I don't remember that the boys need their teeth brushed till they are discolored. Henry and George ate an ENTIRE box of Princess fruit snacks at the grocery store yesterday because it kept them quite. And I get a little joy from the fact that it's the law that they HAVE to be restrained in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...I love it. Thanks guys. I truly do think that Riverside has helped me be MORE vulnerable and open in a lot of areas in my life, but there is def. room for improvement! Ok, I've not even been at this 2 years but let's see...
    *My son takes a bath sometimes twice daily. I put my son IN the bath so that I can read a book, go on Facebook, ect. It's kind of like Jill's restraint concept. (I guess that changes when you have more than 1).
    *I dream of the day when my kids go to school or even PDO next year : )
    * I somehow read all 4 twilight books in 1 week and honestly don't even know what Eli did during that time.
    *one of my first son's words was "EAT" and it was when he saw a McDonalds.

    I will TRY to think of dirtier ones, but that's all that I can think of right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I am not a mom, but I feel I can contribute due to my 100,000+ accrued hours of childcare time. I don't know how you guys do it 24 hours a day. Being a nanny has given me peace knowing that if God does chose to bless me with children one day, he will bless me with a nanny as well.
    *I only let Claire (2 yr old) eat edamame and/or corn when I know I don't have to work the next day b/c I can't deal with those diapers.
    *Every single day I have worked this summer, we have spent at least 2 hours at my own mom's house b/c I can't handle all 4 of them at the same time. Usually at my mom's I hold the baby and she takes care of the other 3. And I'm the one getting paid.
    *Two weeks ago, the 6 yr old made me so angry I had to physically remove myself from the house b/c I thought I might lose it and throw her into the wall. I then called Jill Peel, cried, and made Erin stand in the corner. When I went in to talk to her, I was still crying and Erin told me she yells all the time because she thinks I love the other kids more than her. It broke me heart.
    *This is the best job I've ever had and I hate that I can't do it anymore. My last day is in 3 weeks and I think I might mentally break down when I leave. Pray for me.

    ReplyDelete