Monday, June 22, 2009

Sometimes it isn't ironic, it just sucks.


I play guitar for Riverside once a month or so.  Last Sunday I played, and completely butchered, a classic hymn.  For those of you who took piano lessons, the song was supposed to be in 3/4 and I started it up in 4/4.  For those of you who didn't take piano lessons there was one beat too many every line.  Basically I accidently caused a classic song that everyone knows to have a bit of a swing.  Much to the credit of the other four musicians onstage we made it through the song, and it even started sounding kind of cool the last couple of verses.

Most of the congregation probably couldn't have told you what exactly was wrong with the song, but I assure you most of the congregation thought that if felt wrong.  The reason I am telling you all of this is that I feel that it is very similar to sin in my life.  There are so many things that I fail in daily.  Things that I know about, and am embarrassed by.  Even though very few people at church yesterday knew I was the one who messed up the song, I knew, and I felt shame (I'm over it now though).  

Also, like yesterday, there are a few people around me who are quite aware of it when I sin.  My family and close friends feel the direct consequences just like the band in being forced to adjust to my error.

Finally, the big picture.  My sin might not directly effect everyone I come in contact with daily, but due to my imperfect nature things are just a bit off, they don't quite feel right, just like that hymn yesterday.

Fortunately we have a perfect savior.  Despite my sin, God uses me and sanctifies me.  Despite my screw up yesterday God's name was praised...be thou my vision, oh Ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment