Friday, May 22, 2009

Film Fridays - Star Trek


Star Trek
Rated: PG-13
Director: J.J. Abrams

Are there stories that are worth telling over and over again? Did you know Rocky won best picture in the 70's? What's the differences between sequels and movies like Harry Potter which are assumed to go on until finished? Do you like to see movies? Why or why not?

I love them. So, on some Fridays we will throw up a movie review for you.

What I loved about this movie: I loved the story. One of the reviews out there says that Star Trek is this year's "Iron Man" - I agree. Good movie, fun, good story, good acting, the human element well-developed (at least that is my take on Iron Man... and I did read the comic, from 89-90). I loved the movement, it wasn't difficult to follow, but it moved quickly - maybe even predictably at the beginning, but still at a good pace for a Sci-Fi movie. I really enjoyed watching the back story of so many characters, and then getting those back stories twisted into a knot later in the movie!

What I did not love: although I am not a Trekky there were some very dignified scenes that the writing left out to dry. I refuse to give things away for those still planning to see it, but there were some very fun old school aspects... And, I thought they could have been done better with those.

Intersection of the film with the Gospel: many movies about the future assume human evolution will take care of our violence and destruction towards ourselves - Star Trek has never taken that route and I appreciate it. The Gospel holds in tension the beauty and the ugliness of people - good films bring out both (in my opinion). I believe the story of the state of the world (tragic mess) and the need for an unlikely hero are written very deeply upon us (there is more to it, romance is usually a factor, but the romance must interact with the story to move us, it can't be a passive piece). Most films not only involve the unlikely hero and the mess of the world - but we get to see her or him develop. This is done well in Star Trek.

3.5/5 stars.

-Matt

1 comment:

  1. Favorite movie of the summer (I can say that now.. because I don't think there's anything on the horizon that will be as good). Great storytelling, good for the trekkie and non-trekkie alike. Though strikingly similar to another favorite movie. Click here for the comparision. Note: SPOILER.

    http://tinyurl.com/ozdrhd

    ReplyDelete