Sunday, May 17, 2009

Is Faih a Weakness???


-Bob Dillon is a member of Riverside Church, and the assistant principle of Nipher Middle School in nearby Kirkwood, Mo. Bob recently taught a class in media at UMSL, and the Riverside Blog asked him to help us deal with media and the phenomenon of 24 hour news.

Is Faith a Weakness?

The essayists, authors, and commentators of our secular society have
finally broken me down. They have convinced me that yes, faith is a
weakness. They have swayed me to think that faith creates a skewed
perception of reality and clouds the decision-making ability of those
that lean on it for support. They have persuaded me that those of faith
aren’t tolerant and open people that embrace all and accept that
society is growing in the right direction.

They have me believing that faithful people lack the understanding of
our complex, global society in which values are flexible and decisions
are made systematically without the crutch of a decision-making
structure that accounts for God’s will. Finally, they have established
for me that faith doesn’t allow us to think, be intellectual, or
experience life to the fullest as it limits our time, creates
commitments, and steers conversation.

How can we grow strong with these chains of faith bound to our side? In
this world that requires us to absorb new ideas and information, having
a lens of faith, through which all filters, is our secular worlds
version of a death sentence to enlightenment. One of the many affects of
this pressure is to muteall discussion of faith in casual conversation.

Has anyone else recognized how hard it is to talk about faith,
church-life, or God among casual friends, acquaintances, or those at
work? I’m not even talking about evangelizing, but simple mentions of
what fulfills your life. I wonder if I am afraid because I worry I will be
seen as weak, out of the mainstream, or simply that the grand light of
my opinions will seem dim? :)

This pressure shouldn’t pigeonhole conversations about faith, values,
and religion because isn’t this society at its fullest when no ideas
are muted in the marketplace of ideas? As people of faith, it remains
important that we examine these concepts about faith as weakness that
are presented to us almost daily while still focusing on the reasons
that we grow through faith.

My encouragement - after teaching near this subject for a year, is in a few areas.
First, we must walk miles in others’ shoes.
This means most importantly that we understand the core concerns of
those resisting a society with a faithful lifestyle in the forefront. By
pushing aside the ideas of the secular society without careful
examination, how can we possibly ask the same from the other side when
our moments to persuade occur.

Second, people of faith radiate a beauty of kindness. We need to
purposefully use this glow throughout our daily lives in our actions.
This means choosing to do the little things until the little things are
so habitual that they flow naturally everyday. I believe that there is a
true sense throughout all of society that these types of actions are the
core strength of those with faith.

It is hard for me to not see faith as a weakness. But, when I clear my head,
through actions and prayer, I know that I am actually weak without
faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment