Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hell: Post Sermon Blog


These past few weeks Riverside has been exploring "Systematic Theology" categories, but mainly through the words and actions of Jesus of Nazareth.

The series will conclude next week with "What did Jesus think about Resurrection?".

Yesterday Zack Eswine talked about the ways Jesus spoke of Hell, what it is, who is going, etc.

I would encourage you to follow the above link and listen to the sermon if you didn't get to hear it. For me the most poignant part was Zack's assessment of who is going and who isn't as less relevant than other questions. But, I don't think I can eloquently re-create his argument (although the simple aspect of the argument is that Jesus seemed more interested in talking about Hell for other purposes: therefore, those questions are more relevant).

Instead, I wanted to present a rhetorical question from the Sermon today, and I would love to hear your thoughts. "Imagine the predicament we're in if God does not/cannot judge injustice. Imagine the predicament we're in if we are not allowed to judge injustice." The point is that - taking the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus on their own merits (which isn't easy for many, I grant you that) - then Hell is a loving expression of God. It is, in fact, a loving idea.

Crazy...

Thoughts???

Discuss...

PS - I choose this picture because, Biblically speaking (Contra John Milton I'm afraid), Satan does not rule in Hell either...

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment